Welcome back! Final stretch everyone. –SB
1. AMSA’s FIFTH ANNUAL STUDENT DOCTOR DINNER! Friday, April 12th, 7:30-9:00pm in Lerner C555
2. AMSA Bioethics Presents: A Conversation with Dr. Jonathan Slater on Monday, April 1, 7-8PM, Lerner 502
3. National Health Corps Scholarships Application Now Open
4. Join the “CU in Network”
And in other news…
Check out this interesting NYTimes Sunday dialogue about doctor involvement in Choosing How We Die
NO BIOETHICS. GO TO THE EVENT!
GLOBAL HEALTH: Monday 9-10, Hamilton 318
PUBLIC HEALTH: Wednesday 9-10, Hamilton 509
WiM: Wednesday 9-10, Kent 411
Come share an evening of great, intimate conversation and a FREE delicious, catered three-course dinner with doctors in specialties of your interest.
Spots are first come, first serve! This event is open to students of Columbia College, Barnard College, SEAS, General Studies, and Post-Bac Pre-Med students!
**RSVP by April 7th 5pm at [http://tinyurl.com/sdd2013]**
Below is a list of the medical specialties that will be represented at our dinner:
Dual Degrees (MD/MBA, MD/PhD, MD/MPH)
On Monday, April 1st, from 7-8pm in Lerner 503, Dr. Slater will be coming to speak to the CUAMSA Bioethics Committee and present case studies about his experience in Pediatric Bioethics within the context of psychiatry. Refreshments will be served. Please rsvp to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hope to see you there!
The 2013 National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Program application cycle is now open. The application cycle will remain open through May 14, 2013. The Application and Program Guidance can be found on the NHSC Website and contains all of the program requirements and details.
Highlights of 2013 NHSC Scholarship Program:
· The NHSC Scholarship Program removes the burden of overwhelming educational debt, allowing health professions students to pursue their passion for primary care and serving the underserved.
· For each year of financial support (up to four years) a Scholarship recipient serves one year (minimum two years) in an NHSC-approved site in high-need urban, rural, and frontier communities across the nation.
· Scholarship support includes tax-free payment of tuition, required fees, other reasonable educational costs, and a monthly living stipend (taxable).
· All students applying to the program must be a U.S. citizen or national and enrolled or accepted in an eligible degree program at a U.S. accredited school in Medicine: MD or DO; Dentistry: DMD or DDS; Nurse Practitioner (Adult, Family, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Psychiatric, or Women’s health); Certified Nurse-Midwife; and Physician Assistant.
As in previous years, the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program will be competitive. If there are more qualified applicants than available funding, the NHSC will continue to prioritize applicants who are from a disadvantaged background and applicants who demonstrate a commitment to continuing to serve communities of need after their service to the NHSC is complete.
For other opportunities see:
CU in Network
Are you planning to work or intern in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Washington, D.C. this summer? If so, then you should know about the Columbia University Internship Network (CU In)!
1) The CU In Network allows you to connect with Columbia students and alumni in the area while you’re away from New York for the summer. You can apply for positions through LionShare, or find positions in these cities through your own search. Once you’ve secured a position, join the CU In Network in your city by March 31st (Date will be extended) for access to:
· An Alumni Club mentor to provide personal and professional guidance and support throughout the summer
· A built-in community of Columbia students in your city
· Opportunities to connect to employers in the area
· Recommended housing & roommate connections
· Fun activities around the city planned by Columbia students
· Additional resources that will support you in your CU In experience.
To join the Columbia University Internship Network in your area, visit (it only takes a minute to sign up!): http://www.careereducation.columbia.edu/findajob/cce-internship/cuin/subscribe”